Friday, July 1, 2011

Meet one of our newest Americans

As we go into the fourth of July weekend, I contemplate our great country. Being the daughter of a serviceman, I have always been grateful for the sacrifices made to allow me the freedoms my children and I enjoy. We are a great country. And nowhere has that been more clear to me than when I realized I could adopt a little boy from the other side of the world and allow him access to everything we have in America. When I learned of his need and compared it to my blessings, the difference was stark.

Meet Victoria.


Victoria was just adopted and brought home from Eastern Europe this week. Rather than a homecoming with her new siblings at home though, Victoria was taken off the plane and taken straight to the hospital where she still is. She is being treated for severe malnutrition and dehydration. She is 21 months old. She's the size of a six month old
:

Doesn't that just break your heart? There are no words for this.

The doctors can't get her to put on weight. Her tiny little body is shutting down. In fact, she is currently losing weight, even with medical care.

These pics are hard to look at. In fact, it may make you uncomfortable that I blogged about this, that I made you look at them, that I made you acknowledge that these children are real. But they are.


These children really exist. They exist, but just barely. They exist in an orphanage half way across the world and it's easy to hope things like this really aren't happening... but they are.

Do something.

If you can't adopt, you can still help. Pray for these children, and then put that faith into action and DO SOMETHING! These children are not going to walk out on their own. Without help, they will die. They need us to help them. Don't say "One person can't make a difference". Don't say "Someone else will help". Don't say "It doesn't have to be me", because it does need to be you. If not you, than who?

Donate to people who are trying to save these children. Donate to charities providing medical supplies and food to these children. But do something. Because they are real. Victoria is real. Pray for the doctors helping her. Pray that she will respond to their care, that she will gain weight, that she will know of the incredible love of her new mommy and daddy and the amazing country she now lives in. Pray, and then act on it. Do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment