Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Our visit to Ukraine, first installment of pictures

I think I can now say we're in Ukraine.  :)  In fact, we are in the great city of Kiev.  Tomorrow, we leave to go to Seth's region, so today, before and after our SDA appt, we walked around and saw the beauty and culture surrounding this city.  It's old.  It's not uncommon for our driver to point to a building and say it's 1,000 years old.  1,000 years.  The US hasn't even been a country that long, and they have buildings still standing from that era.  It's a city ripe with history and I love that!  I cannot get enough of people watching.  It's an interesting culture.  Everyone drinks and smokes.  We stick out like a sore thumb.  The buildings are old style soviet union block housing.  Everyone lives in apartments.  We have yet to see a house.  The outside and inside of the apartment complexes are usually run down, decaying.  But the inside of each apartment is owned by a tenant and can be much nicer.  Ours is a modest apartment.  It's served our needs. 

This is a view of the outside of our apartment:


The hall and elevators:

Our front door:
Our living room/ bedroom/office

Our kitchen:

We have a washer in the bathroom.  Yes, you read that right.  Here is our dryer: 

This is very common.  We see clothes lines drying all over town.  Lots and lots of towels and sheets. 

These next three are pics of our view from our window:




Coming up next, some of the culture, magnificent cathedrals and the SDA building. 

5 comments:

  1. LOL Yeah that is very common to have a dryer in the bathroom. Or a washer in the kitchen. I asked a realtor one time if that was a dishwasher and she was like Umm...no. LOL

    Great pictures! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great Documenting. Clothes lines all over is the same in China. When you are driving around it's just amazing that every single rooftop is packed with clothes lines. Humbling really. How was the SDA meeting? What you expected? Informative? Can't really believe you are actually there heading to Seth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not realize you were not on my blog list so I just added you ;) Can't wait to see pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love it there? So quirky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool! I can't wait to witness some of the history ourselves! Blows me away to consider that we knock down 10-year old buildings just to start over again and theirs stand for centuries! Thanks for posting!
    -Carli
    asiblingforsillylily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete