Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Worth of a Soul

This week has brought excitement and anticipation to our home.  For those who don't know, we've received our SDA appointment- September 14th.  For those not familiar with adoption terms, that's our invitation to come to his country, view his file and accept his referral.  That referral is what gives us permission to go visit him in his orphanage and start the in-country adoption paper chase.  Jeremy and I are busily booking flights, learning more of his language, spending additional time with our children in anticipation of being gone for a while, and finishing up home improvement projects that will likely get neglected for a while once we're home as I devote myself to him and his needs, as well as playing with and loving on our other children.

Spending time as a family will be our primary focus for the first few months as Seth (Phillip) learns what it means to have a mama and a papa and siblings.  Anything non-critical that does not directly pertain to one of our children will likely be put on the back burner.  Commitments will be kept at a minimum.  Errands will be reduced.  Life will be simplified.  A child who was cast aside and abandoned will grow wings and fly. 

We have much to teach him. Much to share with him.  But I am equally sure that he has much to teach us.  He will teach us about courage, hope, faith, the strength of the human spirit, compassion.  We are honored to be a part of that.

We have been warned that while in-country, we will be pointed at, stared at, scoffed at.  Passerbyers will pity us, because we are "burdened" with a child who can't walk.  They don't understand why anyone would keep a child with a special need.  They certainly don't understand why someone would pay $25,000 to fly half way around the world to adopt a child with a special need.  They don't know what we know.  They don't know the worth of a soul.  They don't know he is fearfully and wonderfully made, perfect in every way. Perfectly the way his Heavenly Father made him.  Certainly more perfect and closer to God than I am. 

Please continue to follow us on our journey.  The end is near.  In a few short weeks, we will begin to hug his hurt away, tell him that after six long years of neglect, he has a family.  We will take his hand, walk him out of his orphanage and bring him home.  To his family.  Forever.


4 comments:

  1. YAHOO!! I am beyond excited for you all!! What a miracle in the making!! I can't wait to hear when you can finally hug Seth and bring him home to one of the best families!!!!! We're praying for you! Good luck these next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts! I can't wait to meet the little guy and have him in Primary! What a blessing he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, you continue to amaze me! I'm so thrilled for all of you that this process has gone quickly so you can bring you baby home. Thank you for sharing your story! I'm so proud to know you and call you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete