Several people have asked what our childrens responses were. To be honest, I was a little nervous. Not much, but a little. My kids have good hearts, but like every child, they have certain things they need. One of them is time with mom. Having a seventh child would be demanding enough, but our seventh happens to be a special needs six year old who will need considerable time and resources. I underestimated my children.
We decided to be completely honest with them. We started out by telling them a little about him- where he lives, what his conditions are like, what we do know about his special needs (not much). We gave them the best case scenario and the worst case scenario and told them he will likely fall somewhere in the middle. We gave them the option of voicing concerns out loud or to find us in private to share their thoughts and we assured them we would not think they were selfish. As we talked about it, I looked up to Taylor, my 15 year old, and saw her crying for him. My Taylor has the world's biggest heart.
All of the girls agreed this was something we needed to do. Amanda (17) said "Why wouldn't I want another cute little brother?". :) Sarah (13) is researching his country. She's created a file on the computer and is storing all kinds of information- customs of his country, foods they eat, language helps. She's started a video of him and our journey to go get him. Hannah (11) talks about him and asks questions all the time. Her wheels are turning. Her big concern is the month we'll be gone. Honestly, that's a big concern for me too, but it's the only way to get Phillip. Noah (4) wants to know if he'll want to play Mario brothers with him. Yes, Noah is still obsessed with Mario. Adam (3) doesn't really get much of what we're talking about. He knows there's a little boy far away who has no mommy or daddy to care for him. He knows we're going to get him so he can live with us and we can help take care of him.
When we got a report back that we wouldn't get any more information from the orphanage and needed to make a decision based on the sparse information we had, I re-told Taylor what we know: He may never walk. She said "That's even more reason we need to go get him". When I was lamenting my worry about the month we'd need to be in-country, she said "Mom, we've all had you our whole lives. He's never had anyone. He needs you for one month. Go do it". I swear I love that girls heart.
Phillip is now in every prayer we say. Each and every one. I saw pictures today of a little boy and girl who recently come home from the same country we're getting Phillip from. The family was told by their doctor to take them straight to the hospital. They are admitted and have been there every since. Both are malnourished and so, so little. It makes me worry about the little boy who is really under all the bulky clothes. Our contact at Reece's Rainbow says that I can expect him to be tiny and malnourished. They all are. My heart hurts for him. I can't get to him soon enough. We are moving through our home study and dossier as fast as we possibly can. We pray he is in Heavenly Fathers care until we get there. Please keep him and all these other sweet children in your prayers.
Please feel free to join our blog and comment below. We love to know who's reading and praying for us. :)
Hi Laura,
ReplyDeleteI'm Jessica's sister. You women sure are amazing. I admire you and your williness to follow the Spirit. What a lucky little guy to be able to join your wonderful family. I can't wait to follow your incredible journey! We'll keep you guys and Phillip in our prayers.
"Mom, we've all had you our whole lives. He's never had anyone. He needs you for one month. Go do it". This is one wise and sweet 15 year old.
ReplyDeleteYou have our prayers for your little guy, and so do all of the little ones who are lost and forgotten :(