Sunday, May 13, 2012

A poem on adoption, to Seth:


I copied this from my friend, Faith Jobes, who is currently in process to bring home Seth's little buddy, Josiah.  I read this before Seth was home and I remember it rang true and helped me understand adoption, helped bring together two sides of conflicting emotions, but when I read it today, it just made me incredibly thankful for her. Today, as I love on my children and consider how blessed I am, I'm also thinking of a woman, half way across the world who gave a little boy life.  Now, he's such a blessing in ours. 

Once there were two women, who never knew each other
 One you do not remember, the other you call Mother
 Two different lives shaped to make you one
 One became your guiding star, the other became your sun
 The first one gave you life, the other taught you to live it
 The first gave you a need for love, the second was there to give it
 One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name
 One gave you talent, the other gave you aim
 One gave you emotion, the other calmed your fears
 One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried your tears
 One sought for you a home, that she could not provide
 The other prayed for a child, and her hope was not denied
 And now you ask me through your tears,
 The age-old question unanswered through the years
 Heredity or environment, which are you a product of?
 Neither my darling, neither
 Just two different kinds of love.

For those of you who don't know, Seth is currently in the hospital.  He had his tonsils and adenoids taken out and tubes put in on Tuesday.  On Thursday, he was admitted for pain management and hydration.  Now, he has strep throat.  He's in a lot of pain.  Please keep him in your prayers that he will feel better quickly. 

2 comments:

  1. Praying! And that is a beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Would you mind if I included a picture of Seth in a video I'm making for a fundraiser we're having called "Celebrate Adoption!"?

    ReplyDelete