Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year, New Look

I'm changing up the blog a bit.  I put up a newer picture of him, because while we all love the little boy in the blue overalls, that picture is a year and a half old.  :)  Now that he's "back", I want to move forward.  Have no fear, his cute little 5 year old face is still in a pic down below.  We changed our subtitle to be more fitting to what's going on now in our lives- "We teach him about life.  He teaches us about the determination of the human spirit".  We toyed with changing the layout and decided to stay with this one.  I like the birds.  Because they are like him.  He's taking off.  He's soaring.  He's going to new heights. 

I've been struggling with what to do with this blog now that Seth has been home for two months.  I still want to keep everyone updated on his progress, and we know this road is still very long and very steep.  I'll be posting more about cerebral palsy, because I think I have a responsibility to teach and inform about this very manageable special need.  Also, we now know a lot of people who have either adopted children with cerebral palsy, have a biological child with cerebral palsy, or are in process to adopt and are researching to learn what it's like, day in and day out. 

I'll also still be advocating, because honestly, adoption took our breath away.  Ukraine changed us forever.  I feel  a big responsibility to those children.  Every time a child is adopted from Ukraine, I cry.  Because I know the cost.  I know what it's like to take a child out of a mental institution.  I know what it's going to cost that family.  Not in dollars, but in effort, in tears, and in work.  I know what it's like to slowly see the light return to a child's eyes.  I know what it feels like to watch life be breathed into them again. 

We found Seth, in large measure, because of two blogs.  One was a person advocating for another child, which linked me to Reeces Rainbow and Seth.  The other was someone who advocated for Seth.  Advocacy blogging leads to adoption and adoption saves children's lives.  I love children, and especially after being in Ukraine, I will do almost anything to save a child's life.

Seth survived a hell I cannot imagine for six and a half years.  I simply cannot imagine.  He has experienced things I will never know and will never understand.  We are helping him overcome that.  We're teaching him about family.  About love.  About life.  Meanwhile, Seth is teaching us about inner strength, about the determination of one little boy's spirit, about what happens when a little boy refuses to give up, despite all the odds.

Bring on new beginnings!  Bring on 2012!

5 comments:

  1. Love the new look, the new tagline, and the new focus. Inspiring! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should blog about your other kids too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. That's one other I want to add. I don't want to make it a family blog, because we have one of those too, but I'd like to add in more about our family and how adoption and cerebral palsy has affected each of us. I want our other children to have more of a role.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appropriate changes and great picture of the work he is doing to progress! We too adopted our son with CP from Ukraine, now four years ago. The long process of healing is just starting. I look forward reading his progress in learning, growing and bonding with his family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the new look of Seth - and of your blog :-) looking forward to reading more about his progress and the process of your growing together.

    ReplyDelete