Sunday, November 13, 2011

Truth Be Told (the details that hurt)

We've been home with Seth now for just over two weeks, and have had him in our care for just over three.  He is such a sweetie, doing well in every way.  We could not be happier.  His siblings love him and he loves them.  He is adjusting well, not only to being in a new (and foreign) country and new language, but to being in an insanely busy family with tons of activity and energy.  There is no fear, no tantrums, no anger.  We have no food problems and minimal sleep issues.  We simply could not love him more.  Is it good?  Oh yes!  Is the adjustment without bumps and glitches?  Well.... no. 

Forgive me at this point if I sound whiny, because I know this could be so much worse.  I know so many who are experiencing worse in an effort to save their child.  Adoption is not easy.  It is costly.  Not just in dollars, but in emotions.  It hurts to watch a child hurt.  It hurts to heal a child.  The stakes are so incredibly high when dealing with Heavenly Father's children.  And so incredibly worth it.  So I'm telling the details to educate you, help you to understand why I'm so jumpy and protective of him, and to maybe get some advice and counsel from those who have faced similar behaviors. 

Truth be told, orphanage life stinks.  Period.  Being in a wheelchair all day long stinks.  Being spoon and bottle fed stinks.  Being put back in diapers stinks.  Never receiving any schooling stinks.  Receiving limited therapy and inadequate healthcare stinks.  Never being taught colors, letters, numbers, or shapes stinks.  When I say he's delayed, that's an understatement.  How could that life and that neglect not have an affect on him? 

When we learned that Seth needs glasses badly, someone said "I can't believe someone in his country didn't catch that".  Well, I can.  Because I highly doubt Seth ever received a vision screening.  Nor a dental exam.  He's received minimal health care, limited therapy, and no schooling.  Truth be told, Seth's life was sustained for six and a half years.  They actually took good care of him, physically.  In their minds, they even loved him.  But in his country, physical disability = mental disability, and mental disability will earn a child a lifetime sentence in a mental institution, with little opportunity for ever getting out.  Ever. 

In a country that frequently abandons their babies with special needs, the thought that these children would be adoptable and wanted is unheard of.  Children with special needs will almost always find themselves in a mental institution sometime before their sixth birthday.  So if they are abandoned, and there's little chance of adoption, and they will never be expected to live on their own, why take care of them beyond the most basic needs?  Why educate them?  Why train them for a job?  Why teach them self care skills, preparing them for independent life?  Understand, when I say Seth would have never received anything in his country, I mean just that.  He received nothing.  Nada.  Nor would he have. 

Children with any kind of special need get a very raw deal in the orphanages, but in my opinion, children who can't walk receive the very worst sentence.  While in the baby house, Seth spent most of his days either in a playpen or a stroller, with limited access to other kids or toys, because they consider the floors dirty and won't let children who can't walk play on them.  That is bad enough, but once transferred in June, he literally spent three months strapped in a wheelchair, sitting in a circle, watching grown wheelchair-bound men groan and rock and grind their teeth, with no access to anything even remotely stimulating and no one to talk to.  My little Seth.  My sweet little Seth. 

When he was at the baby house, he was considered "of high intellect", could drink from a cup, was potty trained and was almost walking (although still kept in a stroller or playpen). When he was transferred, they took that away from him, gave him a bottle, put him in a diaper and strapped him into the wheelchair, all in an effort to keep mess to a minimum, to mainstream their job and care.  He's lucky though.  Many who can't walk find themselves confined to a crib.  All. Day. Long.  Wheelchairs are slightly more stimulating than cribs. 

I had recent pics of Seth before he was transferred and reports from several people.  I knew what to expect from Seth.  That was before his transfer.  When we came into the room to meet him for the first time, I did not even recognize him.  I had to ask the director which one he was.  There he was, strapped into his wheelchair, crumpled over, no life in his eyes, vacant, not willing to make eye contact.  Where did my smiley little boy go?  What had they done to him? 

Over the course of the next five weeks, we drew him back, claimed him again.  Re-taught him the skills he had lost.  But it really isn't til you grab them, put them in a car, drive away, load them on a plane and fly them for 30 hours to bring them home that the real work begins.  The real pain comes out.  The real trauma is dealt with.  For Seth, that comes out in a couple ways.  Both are considered self stimulating behaviors.  Stimming for short, these behaviors are coping mechanisms, boredom busters, the product of sensory deprivation, a sign of overstimulation.  Theories abound as to why kids who have lived in orphanages do it, but most do.  Rocking, head banging, "checking out", flapping hands.  All considered "stimming".  Seth doesn't do any of these types of stimming. 

Seth's stimming looks like a full body, full-on, seizure, but it's not.  We know it's not because he can stop for a break, take a snack, be distracted.  He does this several times a day, but it makes it rather uncomfortable to take him very far because it's completely unpredictable.  I'm learning to accept that this is what he does.  This is how he's coped.  But it's difficult to watch.  It's hard to be comfortable with it.  It's even harder to explain.  This is how he's survived.  He knows no other way to relax, process, fill time, de-stress.  It is likely that over time, as he sees better and learns to be more mobile, his stimming will decrease and may even disappear.  But for now, this is what it is.  So if you see him having what looks like a seizure, don't be alarmed.  It's just part of his sweet little package.  :)

We have a better handle on his other stimming behavior, but know less how to deal with it.  While we don't know what causes his seizure-like stimming, we know his out-of-control laughing is from being overstimulated.  This is when he bites, pulls hair and scratches.  He is generally a very sweet and loving little boy, but when he's done, he's done, and at that point, we're not sure how much awareness he has.  His laugh becomes maniacal and there is little we can do to soothe him because it only overstimulates him more.  Leaving him alone, moving him to a quieter place....  nothing seems to help.  So I caution the kids to stay out of his way for a bit and I do what I can to help him... and I wait it out.  Sometimes I wait for a very long time.  Last night, I waited for two and a half hours. 

That's the ugly part of this.  The part you need to know, because you're our friends and because you stand ready to love Seth.  This is the trauma that results from children being abandoned and warehoused in low care, low love, low touch, low communication buildings.  Massive delays.  So massive that we're teaching a six year old how to clap and how to feed himself.  We're watching a six year old joyfully doing what a "normal" three year old does.  We worry.  Of course we do.  But we also have assurance from many professionals and friends that he will move beyond this, that he will progress and quickly.  He will get better.  He will overcome.  What exactly that means, we're not sure.  But we know he is likely to move beyond where he is today.  But just like all of our children, development is a series of steps.  Before he can be a happy, well adjusted six year old, he has to first be a happy, well adjusted two, three, four, and five year old.  That's the ugly part of this.  That's the painful part of this.  The reality of what abandonment and institutionalization does to a child spiritually, emotionally, developmentally.  The parts that make me cry for him.  For this sweet little boy who never asked for any of this. 

That's the truth of this.

For those of you not on FB, here's a few pics of our handsome little man: 

Seth, enjoying some sister-love:


Loving his milk:


On his way home from his first time at church:


More sister-love:

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your frankness. It is so easy to gloss over troubles, but it is so much better to hear the reality.
    Seth will get better :) With your love, and the love of your family, he will overcome this.
    Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any experience with an institutionalized child, but my oldest is autistic, and has some similar behaviors, so I'll suggest what I can (and of course, use what helps and ignore the rest!).

    With his "seizure" stimming, I think the best thing you can do is to stop looking around you. Stop worrying (or caring!) what anyone else thinks. I know it's a little hard, but you can get there. Even if you try to explain to everyone around you, there are still going to be people who won't understand and who will judge you, and judge him. You can't let that bother you. Stay calm, make sure he doesn't hurt himself, and smile. If you think it'll help, you can talk to him (tell him you love him, that you're there if he needs anything, etc). Otherwise you can just watch and wait it out. Some people will judge, but that's on them. Anyone who's been through anything similar will be impressed by your calm, and give you an encouraging smile (they know how much they craved those in that situation). They might even come and ask you about him, and it could be the makings of a great friendship!

    As for the overstimulation, have you tried anything weighted? You can get weighted blankets, lap blankets, vests, balls, etc. Often it helps kids focus in better and calm down when there's too much going on around them. You can buy them online, make them, or get them from an Occupational Therapist. I would definitely work on a getting an OT consult anyway, because they're great with sensory issues, which he obviously (understandably) has.

    I'm glad things are going as well as they are, and you're doing great! Things will just continue to get better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will get better wih patience and love! Think how far he has come in the last
    2 months!! It is not all pretty. It is hard work to rescue
    Children especially older children, but it is so worth it!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. Your story is extra special to me because we our little one we are adopting is named Seth as well. :)

    Seth means "appointed", he was chosen by God out of all those sweet sweet children abandoned and hidden from the world. He was appointed and chosen to be rescued by your family for a reason. I know you know these things, but I love the reminder. Whenever you call his name you are calling him chosen. God must have a very big plan for your Seth!!
    I will be praying for you and for Seth that He will, in time, grow to be all that God has called him to be. I can't wait to watch it happen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet boy! Thank you for sharing this insight and being so truthful about your experience so far. It WILL help other families! Praying for Seth, for the healing of his mind, body and spirit in your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what Katie said about not looking around you. I remember when our Summer came home, she rocked a lot. Poor little thing was strapped in a high chair all day in a really poor and filthy orphanage. You could tell she had gotten zero attention....ever. People would wonder and look at me strange when she did this. I remember thinking I needed to explain it, but every time I worried about what others thought, I felt guilty that I even cared. I don't fault the people that wondered, but I should have been focused only on my baby and her feelings. The rocking stopped after about a month being home, although she was only 7 months old, and didn't have years in an institution. But I really do think it will slow down and/or disappear in the future for Seth.
    Just wait and see what your 1 year mark shows for sweet little Seth.
    I love that you are sharing. There are so many people who understand already or can learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an excellent post. Just the kind of knowledge I've been looking for. We're adopting a little girl from RR who is 5 and has spina bifida. I wanted some insight into how her adjustment would be. Most of the people I'm networking with are adopting DS children but that's different.
    It is so hard to hear about the progress he'd made and how much he'd regressed. He seems very comfortable with physical touch. Was it that way from the start? Obviously each child will be different. How often does he do the self soothing behaviors? I really appreciate you being willing to share so much about your little man. Another question, have you seen doctors yet or are you waiting til he seems more acclimated?
    I'd love to hear from you.
    All the best,
    Gretchen
    gretgillette@gmail.com
    ohillwrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete