I had a less than stellar appointment with the kids doctor today. The same one who said Phillip would likely never walk or talk, would never achieve any kind of independence and would live with us, like a child, for our entire life. To his credit, he's never seen Phillip. He hasn't heard all that we've heard. He was preparing us for the worst. Playing devils advocate. It really isn't very fair to ask his medical opinion, and yet I did. And for the record, I actually like the kids doctor. That's why we've gone to him. He's one of the best in town.
I was there again today to get the children's medicals signed for our homestudy, and to request a letter of medical expedition, asking our government to hurry and approve us bringing him into the country, because he needs medical care. I told him that we were wrong, that we had old information, that Phillip can pull himself up, stand on his toes and that he talks. He raised his eyebrows in surprise. He asked me if we get to the country and he's not as they "advertised", do we "have to take him". God bless doctors. I told him no, we wouldn't have to, but we would choose to. I know it's the doctor in him, the skeptic. He sees a lot. I know he doesn't get it. He doesn't know who Phillip is. But I do. This is what I wanted to say to him:
You see this little guy here? You better keep your eye on him. Watch him closely, because he is going to do amazing things. Even if he never walks. You know how I know that? Because he has done something you and I have never done. He has survived being abandoned by his mother and then left in an institution for six years. Not only is he still alive, but he still smiles.
Against the odds, and with very little therapy, he's learned to pull himself up, because no one else will do it for him. He stands on his toes-incredibly hard for a CP patient! And he's learned to talk even though no one listens. I don't know about you, but I've never faced a challenge like that. I've certainly never had to face it alone. And yet sometimes, I don't feel like smiling. What does that tell you about his spirit, his determination and what he can accomplish?
He is his Heavenly Fathers son. Don't ever underestimate him! He has limitless potential, a desire to fight and thrive, to make the most of his situation and a family willing to do what it takes to give him those opportunities. He will overcome! And when he does, he's going to walk right into your office and shake your hand.
Love, Phillip's Mother
Not that I know that Phillip will one day walk. Not that I, personally, even care. Even if he never walks, he is a thousand times better off than if he stays where he's at. In his country he faces a lifetime of institutionalization. Simply because he can't walk. They make wheelchairs for things like that, you know.
And yes, we are currently looking for a new doctor. A doctor who hasn't made up his mind. A doctor who will advocate and push for Phillip to achieve whatever his greatest potential might be. A doctor who understands the true measure of a man isn't in whether he can ever walk and be "normal", but in his ability to continually pick himself up and keep trying. Phillip has demonstrated that ability in ways you and I cannot even begin to comprehend.

You never cease to amaze me. You are an incredible woman,wife, mother, sister and daughter. You tear me up girl, your compassion and ability to love is awesoome. I am so proud to be your mom and also to be Phillip's grandma.
ReplyDeleteWow... Very well written. You are the perfect mother for him!!
ReplyDeleteAmen to all of that!
ReplyDelete