Sunday, June 5, 2011

Why?

This is actually stolen from someone elses blog, but I know it's true. I've read it before, and it's one of the things that help us decide to do what we're doing. In case you think we're crazy (maybe we kinda are!), read this:

"Why?

Let me tell you why . . .

Because there are 100,000 orphans in Eastern Europe

Only 20% of the children are orphans due to the death of a parent

Only 20% have a chance to be adopted after age 5

At Age 16, they "graduate" from the orphanage . . homeless & alone

27% will find jobs

10% will commit suicide before age 18

60% of the girls will be lured into prostitution

70% of the boys will become harden criminal

so I ask you . . . Why not?

EVERY child is WORTH helping, WORTH loving, & WORTH sacrifice"


Every child deserves a home and a family. We have so much. Why should we have so much, when so many have nothing at all?

2 comments:

  1. my question to others is how can you turn away from those faces?? how can you sleep at night in your beds while those children suffer??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the reasons that people who have the emotional capacity and the love don't do this, Nicole, is the financial cost. There are many wonderful families that are living from paycheck to paycheck, just happy to get their rent or mortgage paid each month and a few groceries. In a way I am envious of Jeremy and Laura but am also so happy that they have the financial resources to help this little boy. The very sad fact is that there are thousands of children suffering in the world, plenty in our own neighborhoods. [I am a therapist [LCSW] in an elementary school] It breaks my heart to know of the horrible things parents do to their kids. Everyone can make a difference to a child even if they are not able to adopt or even have one themselves. I have read my sister in law's blogs with so much pride in them for doing this. It will make a such a difference to Phillip and we are so glad to welcome him into our family. Tammy [Jeremy's sister]

    P.S. I don't look at any other children on these websites, I see enough sorrow in the lives of children that I work with every day and that is enough of an emotional load for me right now.

    ReplyDelete